February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month #TDVAM2014
Got Drama? We hope not….
Teen dating violence is a growing epidemic. Data on the prevalence of Teen Dating Abuse can be quite shocking. Below are some “low-lights.”
- 1 in 3 U.S. teens in a relationship are a victim of Physical, Sexual or Emotional Abuse
- 1 in 10 U.S. Teens in a relationship are purposely Hit, Slapped or Physically Hurt
- Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
- 82% of parents don’t know/think teen dating abuse is a problem
For the fourth year, LEVI has worked with TERA and other agencies to deliver an awareness campaign to local teens about the dangers, warning signs, and outlets for help around the issue of dating abuse.
Below is a summary of our TDVAM campaign efforts:
- A social media campaign…follow us at #TDVAM2014
- Display Campaign Posters and Bathroom Stall Flyers in all St. Vrain Middle and High Schools.
- The Teen Section of the Longmont Library, and local teen hangouts displayed messages about Teen Dating Violence.
- LEVI & TERA will host an information table with giveaways at the Niwot vs Silver Creek varsity men’s basketball game on February 7th @ 5:00 pm, and the Frederick vs Erie men’s basketball game @ 6:30 also on February 7th. There will also be an information table at the Mead vs Skyline varsity men’s basketball game on February 21st @ 6:30 pm.
- LEVI, TERA and Longmont PD staff are doing numerous presentations to middle and high school students throughout the district on the topic of healthy relationships.
- We’ll be hosting the third annual special event at Front Range Community College called Love, Sex and Lies where students could take a relationship survey and meet one-on-one with counselors.
Materials for Parents
Materials for Teens
- TERA (Teens Ending Relationship Abuse)
- Relationship Crossword Puzzle
- Relationship Quiz
- Healthy and Unhealthy Tunes
Links to cool websites:
- Teen Dating Violence Simulator App
- Love is Not Abuse
- Thats Not Cool
- A Thin Line
- Break the Cycle
- Red Flag Campaign