February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month
Got Drama? We hope not….
Teen dating violence is a growing epidemic. Data on the prevalence of Teen Dating Abuse can be quite shocking. Below are some “low-lights.”
- 1 in 3 U.S. teens in a relationship are a victim of Physical, Sexual or Emotional Abuse
- 1 in 10 U.S. Teens in a relationship are purposely Hit, Slapped or Physically Hurt
- Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
- 82% of parents don’t know/think teen dating abuse is a problem
For the third year, LEVI has worked with TERA and other agencies to deliver an awareness campaign to local teens about the dangers, warning signs, and outlets for help around the issue of dating abuse. The campaign focuses on the issue of “drama” and encourages teens to expect respect, not drama in their dating relationships.
Below is a summary of our TDVAM campaign efforts:
- Display Campaign Posters and Bathroom Stall Flyers in all St. Vrain Middle and High Schools.
- We provided select student councils at area schools with a tool kit of activities to deliver the message including announcements, buttons, purple Thursdays and other fun ideas.
- Articles appeared in the Times Call on the topic. A special article on Sexting will appear in the Spring Rec Center Guide
- City entrance signs, the Teen Section of the Longmont Library, and local teen hangouts displayed messages about Teen Dating Violence.
- Local SVVSD high schools received hundreds of healthy relationship cards with purple lollipops attached for Valentine’s day distribution.
- LEVI, TERA and other local organizations will be host an information table with give aways at the Skyline vs Frederick Varisty Boys Basketball game on February 19th @ 6:30 pm.
- LEVI, TERA and Longmont PD staff are doing numerous presentations to middle and high school students throughout the district on the topic of healthy relationships.
- We’ll be hosting the second annoual special event at Front Range Community College called Love, Sex and Lies where students could take a relationship survey and meet one-on-one with counselors.
Materials for Parents
Materials for Teens
- TERA (Teens Ending Relationship Abuse)
- Relationship Crossword Puzzle
- Relationship Quiz
- Healthy and Unhealthy Tunes
Links to cool websites:
- Teen Dating Violence Simulator App
- Love is Not Abuse
- Thats Not Cool
- A Thin Line
- Break the Cycle
- Red Flag Campaign