February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month #TDVAM2015
Got Drama? We hope not….
Teen dating violence is a growing epidemic. Data on the prevalence of Teen Dating Abuse can be quite shocking. Below are some “low-lights.”
- 1 in 3 U.S. teens in a relationship are a victim of Physical, Sexual or Emotional Abuse
- 1 in 10 U.S. Teens in a relationship are purposely Hit, Slapped or Physically Hurt
- Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
- 82% of parents don’t know/think teen dating abuse is a problem
For the fifth year, LEVI has worked with TERA and other agencies to deliver an awareness campaign to local teens about the dangers, warning signs, and outlets for help around the issue of dating abuse.
Below is a summary of our TDVAM campaign efforts:
- A social media campaign…follow us at #TeenDatingViolence
- Display Campaign Posters and Bathroom Stall Flyers in many St. Vrain High Schools.
- An action poster for middle schools.
- The Teen Section of the Longmont Library, and local teen hangouts displayed messages about Teen Dating Violence.
- Safe Shelter’s TERA Program will be hosting 2 webinars that will be recorded for ongoing viewing. Register HERE.
- LEVI, TERA and Longmont PD staff are doing numerous presentations to middle and high school students throughout the district on the topic of healthy relationships.
- We’ll be hosting the fourth annual special event at Front Range Community College called Love, Sex and Lies on March 4th (date moved due to water damage) where students could take a relationship survey and meet one-on-one with counselors.
Materials for Parents
Materials for Teens
- TERA (Teens Ending Relationship Abuse)
- Relationship Crossword Puzzle
- Relationship Quiz
- Healthy and Unhealthy Tunes
Links to cool websites:
- Teen Dating Violence Simulator App
- No More Campaign
- Thats Not Cool
- A Thin Line
- Break the Cycle
- Red Flag Campaign